France’s Covid-19 ‘health pass’ mandatory on 9 August 2021.
France has made it obligatory to show a “passe sanitaire” (health pass) – proving that you are vaccinated or have tested negative for Covid-19 – for access to public venues for more than 50 people since 21 July 2021. On 9 August, the health pass requirement will be extended to new settings, including long-distance transport, restaurants and cafés – even France’s famed outdoor terraces.
The Constitutional Council, France’s highest legal authority, will rule on the new legislation on 5 August. However, the government is moving forward with its plans on the assumption that it will be approved and has said it will allow for a one-week adjustment period (from 1 August to 9 August) as businesses bring themselves into line with the new rules.
Any of the three documents can be used as a health pass in France:1) proof of two doses of an EU-approved vaccine: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, or Johnson & Johnson, 2) a negative PCR or antigen test taken within the last 48 hours, and 3) a Covid-19 recovery certificate that is less than six months old. Anyone who enters an establishment without showing a valid pass can be fined €135 for a first offence.
From July 21: Cultural and leisure venues of more than 50 people
- Nightclubs, discos, and bars with dancing
- Gaming rooms and casinos
- Zoos, amusement parks, and circuses
- Swimming pools and sports centres
- Concerts and festivals
- Indoor sports facilities
- Cruise ships and ferries
- Hotels, holiday resorts and camping sites with swimming pools, playgrounds or other entertainment facilities.
From August 9
- Cafés and restaurants, including outdoor terraces
- Fairs, trade shows, and conferences
- Care and retirement homes
- Long-distance transport (planes, intercity trains, TGV, overnight trains, and long-distance buses)
- Medical establishments (with the exception of emergency rooms)
- Hotels, holiday resorts and full-service camp sites (with the exception of camp sites that only offer accommodation, lodges and guest rooms).
Access to shopping centres is permitted unless local authorities determine otherwise, in the event of a regional outbreak. The health pass rules will apply to minors age 12 and over starting 30 September 2021.
The rules are set to apply until 15 November 2021 unless renewed by a parliamentary vote.